Thursday, September 29, 2011

Time Out

Made a few phone calls and sent a couple of emails - achievement for the day I guess. Another tiny step that makes me feel like I am really on my way to Nunavut. I wish I can start a countdown but I don't have a definite flight schedule yet. A countdown can make it more real. And I love countdowns.


Of course it goes without saying that in the past few months I have been hungrily devouring whatever information I could get about Nunavut. I am so all about psyching myself up for this big move. A lot of things can be said about the internet but you can't help but love how you get more than instant gratification..ask a question and you get infinite amount of answers. The good, the bad, the lofty, the grounded, the practical, the crazy..you name it...all you need to know! I love the Nunavut blogs most of all, followed by that you tube video  by alexandluke.com which I have replayed and replayed ad infinitum ad nauseum. I love Townie Bastard's funny but definitely practical and uber useful FAQs about life up north. I love reading the freeze with ease blog - I enjoy the "he-she" perspective of their posts (my experience there will purely be on a me-myself-and-I dimension). And I also read Melissa's My Nunavut Adventure blog which I find amusing but with a lot of heart. These blogs not only help give a face to the unknown for me, they also make me more excited than scared. When I go out these days to buy stuff that I need I have their tips on my mind like voices in my head. Note to self: if you have the honor of bumping into any of these guys when you're there, don't forget to say a big thank you! Angels come in many forms - I have my own cyber angels, though they don't know it.


This is the part where I am talking to myself:


I started this blog as an online journal. Not too many people get to have the opportunity to work in the Arctic region - it's one of those once in a lifetime thing. As I said I am someone prone to forgetting so I want to make sure I get to document this journey. I also want to make this as a sort of growth chart for me. They say living and working up north can be a life changing event for a lot of people..so I want to see how this would change me. Maybe if I leave behind a paper trail, albeit in an online form, I can look back at the journey and realize that I have finally found what I've been looking for. Myself. 


I was going over some of my posts here and I am realizing how cringe worthy  most of them are. Although I am saying this is a journal for my own benefit (and maybe to some extent for my parents' peace of mind), there is still that conscious awareness that you are throwing your blog to a world wide universe - so there's always a chance of having an audience and a critic. And along with that awareness comes the tendency of "playing out" to the audience...sacrificing honesty for the sake of poetic justice or literary correctness or showing off or whatever you call it. There's only one word that comes to mind right now, bogus. And that defeats the purpose of a journal.


So once again, I am telling myself - before it gets too far..or before I go too far..or before I reach Iqaluit. I just have to be true to myself. My goal is to remember. My wish is that years from now when I look back I can say, yes that was my journey..


I think I'll step outside and go for a walk . .







No comments:

Post a Comment