I was thinking of testing a theory that "never say never" is not just an oft repeated cliche but actually a powerful curse. That the moment you say never, the opposite happens.
Case in point: when I finished nursing school more than a decade ago, I declared to anybody who cared to listen that I'll be burning my books and I will never study again. Of course, two years after I found myself in medical school doing even more studying.
And there was that time when most of my friends have migrated abroad and I made a patriotic declaration that I will never leave the country. Then the universe conspired to transport me to Alberta.
I don't even want to get started on the trivial day to day stuff where I would with all conviction say, I would never do this or that..and somehow find myself doing the this or that I swore I will never do.
Anyway, the reason why I think this never say never thing is a curse is that a year ago, while in the process of packing, moving into a new house and then unpacking, I realized that it was my fourth change of address after being only in Canada for two and a half years! I love change but all the technical aspects of moving I truly detest ( as I said, packing and unpacking) so last year I said . . that's it, no more packing and unpacking for me . . I will never move out again. And true to form..just over a year after I said the "N" word..here I am packing my bags again. I think I must have uttered a more potent spell this time because I am not just moving anywhere..I am actually leaving the province and fly to the arctic region! How about that?
And this is why I feel I have a solid basis for my "never say never is a curse and not a cliche" theory. Maybe I'll put that theory to the test by saying something like... I will never find the love of my life or I will never be a millionaire. Then we'll see what happens.
No comments:
Post a Comment