Monday, November 7, 2011

Lightness is Unbearable. Still

Calgary airport.

It's the law of the universe. Those who don't learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. Someday I will get it right.. Someday i will travel light. I had this conversation yesterday with one of my room mates where we tried in vain to convince ourselves that our inability to travel light is in fact justifiable. It was of course an exercise in futility. A lesson that I realized today ( actually, it's a lesson i realize each and every time i travel) when I had to explain to the taxi driver and to at least two airport personnel that yes these are all my bags and no there's nobody else traveling with me. I tell myself that I am getting better at this when my heaviest bag weighed in at exactly the cut off weight of 50lbs and I got a "right on" compliment from the (thankfully) nice lady at the check in counter. I said in a previous post that when it comes to defense mechanisms I specialize in denial. Well let it be known that I sub specialize in rationalization.

Still I have to be thankful for little things. That the next time I get to see those bags it will be in Iqaluit (unless they end up in Siberia) and I get reimbursed for excess luggage but not for overweight bags -- and I got the weight part right at least. But I swear someday I am going to get this right!



No comments:

Post a Comment