There's almost something apocalyptic about waking up on a Friday the 13th in the year 2012 with the news that a broken water pipe has caused depletion of most of the city's water supply and that the city's shutting down. As a northern newbie, I got a bit of reassurance and consolation when I read Townie Bastard's blog that this is not the first time (and I don't think it would be the last either) that the city's on a shut down for some only-in-Iqaluit reasons.
Anyway, so it's business unusual today in Iqaluit. Actually it all started late last night. I came home from an overtime shift, had late dinner and after several minutes of lying leisurely like a lazy cat on the couch I finally convinced myself it's time to wash the dishes. And that's when I realized there's no water.
A little confession before I proceed. I have this little neurosis that I have been trying suppress for the longest time. It's a sort of "Truman Show" or the-universe-revolves-around-me-but-in-a-bad-way type of paranoia wherein if bad things happen, it's only happening to me or it's happening because of me. This is one reason why I always struggle to maintain a positive attitude because the alternative is me feeding on this neurosis. The rose tinted glasses I always wear? They are prescribed treatment for an otherwise severely dark, gloomy tunnel vision. I remember when I was little my mother was the main lead of a local production of A Portrait of the Artist as Filipino, a play that mostly centered on the Marasigan spinster sisters, Paula and Candida, who used to belong to an affluent family but had to make both ends meet post war. My mother played the role of Paula and I used to go with her during all her rehearsals that I almost memorized all her lines. There was this scene though that I would never forget because it somehow mirrors my own neurosis and paranoia. So there was this blackout scene and the sisters, Paula and Candida broke into melodramatic rantings and crying thinking that the electricity was cut off because they were not able to pay their bills..so they were exchanging lines back and forth about the shame, what will their neighbors say, the misery of being poor, what to do next etc etc..and in the end when they looked out of their window they realized the whole town had no lights - it was, after all a town-wide black out and they started laughing hysterically at themselves. That's how I felt initially when I realized last night that there's no water. I had a Marasigan sister moment there. Like this is only happening to me or because of me. Good thing I had enough sense to call the city's after hours emergency number .. and a very harassed sounding lady told me that there's no water in 6th storey, 8th storey, Apex and other locations but they are trying to fix the problem. I guess I must have been her 100th caller in the last hour judging from the sound of her voice - but to her credit she managed to answer the phone after 3 rings and even exerted extra effort to sound nice. So I went to sleep last night not knowing the full story. All I know is that there was a problem and it was being fixed. I had water themed dreams. I was in a resort with different kinds of swimming pool - hot water, cold water, pool with giant slide and a weird dirty pool with lots of algae and floating stuff.
When I woke up, first thing I did was check the faucet. Still no water. I went back to bed and thought about all my water related activities for the day - the laundry I had to do, the dishes from last night that I didn't get to wash, taking a bath, using the toilet, my daily dose of caffeine. Around 90% of the things I need to do today has something to do with water. This is too cliche but it has to be said - you don't know what you've got til it's gone. I have to admit that I am not the biggest environmentalist. I mean I know all the issues and I sympathize with the many causes but I don't really go out of my way to preserve the environment the way other people do. I went downstairs to buy some bottled water and that's when I learned about the water pipe bursting last night. I bought my initial supply of four bottles of water and a cup of coffee hoping this would be enough until things get fixed but when I went upstairs to check on the news, I found out that the reservoir was depleted as well. I think it must be the Filipino in me but I immediately went into panic buying mode without even analyzing beyond my must-have-water thoughts. I went to the convenient store downstairs again and added a few more bottled water, microwavable food that doesn't require water or use of utensils and a few cans of pop - yes this is panic buying for a single woman, once again I am thankful that my circumstances in life make me immune to other concerns like milk formula and diapers. The nice lady who manages the convenient store was kind enough to lend me her grocery cart but since it was Friday the 13th, I didn't really get that lucky. The elevator wasn't working and appears to be stuck on the 2nd floor. I said to myself, no way I am taking the stairs with all these stuff! I stubbornly stood in front of the elevator and glared at it as if I can will it to open with dagger looks. Luck just wasn't the word for the day unless you affix it with un- so I took the stairs. Did I ever mention I live in the 6th floor?
While I was trying to soothe my nerves with the mix sushi lunch I bought at the cafe downstairs, I decided to update myself with the goings on in the city. There was an advisory not to use water unless absolutely necessary. That made me think about what "necessary use of water means". So I have to go without doing my laundry today. I am not a big fan of water as a drink but I am thinking about my daily dose of caffeine, my bath, the need to use the toilet and other things that are not really directly water related but to some extent need water. My musings were interrupted when the fire alarm sounded off at the entire building. I was not even surprised that it did. After all the series of unfortunate events on this Friday the 13th, I was half expecting something like that to happen. Took the stairs again and by the time I reached the main floor the alarm stopped and I had to go back to my apartment again. At least with the few minutes I spent mingling with the not too happy neighbors, I got to hear the good news that we have water again. Elevator still not working though and once again I had to take the stairs. For awhile there I was tempted to look for a video camera hidden somewhere a la Truman Show.
I checked the advisory again. Water's back but reservoir still depleted, everyone still urged to conserve water. From Townie Bastard's blog I found out that there's an Iqaluit Public Service Announcement site on Facebook so I asked to join the group. And I have to say I have to admire the mayor here for being so involved with what's going on. I mean, I know it's her job to be involved but there's a sense there of going the extra mile. There's water again although we are all advised to conserve. With caution I washed the dishes, took a bath, forget about the laundry. Life goes on as usual. I stared at the how many bottles of mineral water I bought. I asked myself how it would be like if this water-less state lasted for a longer time. I am thankful it was not electricity or heating that was damaged. Glad that it's my day off. But still..a lot of things made me think today. And I am not just talking about apocalyptic signs of the times or scientific basis for Friday the 3th bad luck.
No comments:
Post a Comment