
There are only a few times in my life that I am proud enough to show off the product of my highly deficient culinary skills. And I know that since I got here I have insisted on justifying the merits of instant meals, eating out or take outs as valid methods of arctic survival. But there comes a time when I need to confront the truth that I have to hone some domestic skills in order to get by. And cooking tops the list. I was at Arctic Ventures today, just before sunset (which is just before 2PM) and as I was wandering aimlesssly at the canned goods and instant noodles aisles, I said to myself..enough is enough (though I did get a couple of Campbell's soup) it is time for me to grow up and get domesticated. I can only hope that at 39 it's not too late to have that kind of epiphany. So I headed straight to the fish/meat/poultry and vegetable section..got some stuff that I can recognize and give a name to. My argument is that, if I have this intense passion for food..somewhere deep within me there must be a chef waiting to be born. And even if it's clear that this life development is only in it's embryonic state, I have willed it to be conceived. So that brings me to this moment. Proudly posting a specimen sample of what I can achieve in the kitchen. Even if it is just as simple as throwing fish, spices and vegetables together, wrap them in foil and bake them in the oven. This required some form of critical thinking and took more effort than just opening a packet, pour in boiling water and simmer for 3-5 minutes. It tasted good. I am happy. And proud. I am only glad that no husband or kids are involved or harmed in the unfolding of this life chapter.

No comments:
Post a Comment